Forging titanium is an important part of Anderson Shumaker’s operations. Our skilled team knows their metals inside and out. But, not everyone is familiar with the many materials we forge. Each metal has its own unique properties and attributes. Therefore, not all metals are appropriate for all products. A few weeks back we discussed aluminum. Today we’ll take a look at titanium, a popular open die forging choice.
What is Titanium?
Titanium is the 7th most abundant metal and the 9th most abundant element in the Earth’s crust. In its natural state, titanium is a lustrous transition metal. Because of this, it’s silvery and has low density and high strength. When mined, roughly 95% titanium is used to make titanium dioxide. This is a pigment that is used in cosmetics, plastics, and paint. The remaining 5% is then refined into titanium metal, which is used in forging operations.
Of all metallic elements, titanium has the highest strength to density ratio. Titanium is resistant to sea water, chlorine, and corrosion. Consequently, it’s an excellent choice for end products that require durability and corrosion resistance. It is a common material in oil & gas, marine, offshore, and highly corrosive environments. It’s also an excellent choice for industrial applications, aerospace, and defense (naval). Not only is it corrosive resistant, but titanium is capable of withstanding intense environmental conditions.
Anderson Shumaker forges titanium to meet customer requirements. We stock the following titanium grades:
- AMS 4920 4926 4928 49931 4965 4967 4976
In addition, we offer value-added processing. For example, we offer in-house heat treatment, sawing, machining, and finishing, as well as destructive and non-destructive testing.
Need a Forge Shop Quote?
- Click Here: Request a Quote
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: https://andersonshumaker.com/
- Stock: Stock List (Metal Grades)